I know what it’s like to look in a mirror and want to criticize everything that you see – every inch of cellulite, every tiny stretch mark, every scar… every physical ‘imperfection’. These so-called imperfections become embedded into your brain, and you struggle to find the beauty among them.
In addition, society doesn’t make it any easier on us. We are constantly exposed to the unrealistic expectations of society and the impressive, yet saddening reshaping effects of Photoshop and other editing programs.
So how do you learn you love yourself in the world we live in? Coming from someone who is learning herself, this isn’t something that happens easily and in minutes. Here are some of my tricks:
- Start your day with positivity. Every single day I am asking you to challenge yourself to look in the mirror and point out something different that you love.
- Stop comparing yourself to others.Even when I was at my smallest, I still was compared myself to someone I perceived as better and I wish I hadn’t. DON’T DO IT! They are a completely different person than you. You are YOU and embrace your own journey.
- Have an open mind.Believe in unlimited possibilities. This will help you to take ownership of your life and make the decisions that are going to get you even closer to your goals.
- Enjoy life-enriching activities.Self-care is so important. Find love in eating healthy food and participating in fitness-related activities. Don’t do it because you want to lose weight, but do it because you love your body. Change your mindset about working-out, say to yourself, “I am doing this because I love who I am.” A happy/healthy mind (+ body) equals a happy life.
- End your day with meditation/mindfulness exercises.There are so many audiobooks, apps, articles online etc. about self-love and self-care. One of my favourite ways to fall asleep with a positive mindset is to listen to some meditation or an audiobook. Not only does it help to relax your mind, but it also leaves you falling asleep with a positive attitude.
There are probably many more tips I could provide, but I think you get the gist of it. So the question is, “Do I love me and do you love you?” My answer is ” YES!”, and my sincere hope is that your answer is a strong, “I sure do!”, but if it isn’t, that okay. I was in your situation not that long ago. I hope that you can take these tips, use them, or come up with your own… whatever it is that will make you appreciate the beautiful person that you are.
“Self-confidence is the best outfit. ROCK IT. OWN IT.”